Celebrate the holidays with some of the best turkey ever. Cookbook author Danielle Kartes of Rustic Joyful Food has tricks to make your bird the star of the meal.
- Smaller is always better, even if you are serving an army. Two 13-pound birds are better than one 26-pound bird. The meat will be more tender and flavorful.
- Always brine your bird. This step is worth the effort.
- Roast your bird breast-side-down. Season liberally with salt and pepper, and rub your turkey with lots of butter and herbs, especially under the skin.
- Fill the bird with herbs and sliced lemons.
- Add lots of onions, carrots, and celery and at least 2 to 3 cups of water to your roasting pan so you get plenty of drippings for gravy.